Thursday, October 28, 2010

#4 Creativity


I was on the phone the other day with my aunt having another quarter-life crisis about what I am supposed to do with my life. I have had a lot of different jobs from secretary, teacher, hostess, waitress, and the list goes on. These jobs were to fund my love of acting. Ever since I was a young girl I've been a TV junkie, probably because I am an only child so TV was my babysitter (Oh that sounds so lame). I would watch movies, TV shows and go see theater with my mother and I was hooked. I didn't know if I really wanted to be an actor, but I knew I wanted to be involved in the entertainment industry in some sort of way. I knew that I wanted to create all those wonderful works of art from an early age.

So, I did like any young girl with a dream, I moved to New York City. Working as an actor for several years was wonderful, though at this moment I find myself not sure if those little girl dreams match my big girl dreams anymore. So while I'm on the phone with my aunt trying to figure out my next creative move, she pointed out that I am a creative being no matter what I do for a living. Huh, what? Creative being? She spoke about a sales woman at her job working her creative magic on a customer. She said that everyone uses creativity when they do their job. Whether it's a surgeon operating on a patient, a salesperson, or a lawyer litigating, everyone has creativity flowing inside of them. For those people who would like to do their art for a living and are frustrated, please know that we are being creative everyday we just need to make sure we tap into that creativity. This may sound too optimist for my pessimistic friends, but it is so true. No matter what you do to put a roof over your head and food on the table, do it with creativity, use the other side of the brain because we were given creativity the moment we were born. I know for a fact that this is easier said than done, but maybe try it for today. Try looking at your "dead-end" job as a creative one. Maybe a painting, a play, or a great monologue will come out of being creative at that"dead-end" job. Or maybe you will just have a little more fun today!
-M

No comments:

Post a Comment