Monday, November 8, 2010

#15 - Our Heroes


So writing the blog this weekend was really hard! I mean it was really difficult. I don't know how I was able to write anything positive with my negative Nelly attitude. All I wanted to do this weekend was crawl into a ball, cry and complain about everything in my life. Yesterday I slowly started to feel better after watching Black Girls Rock on BET. For years I have been so upset with the programming on BET, but slowly they are showing more positive faces of the African-American community. On the show, they displayed so many reasons for black women to continue to love themselves and stay positive. The show gave a tribute to not only famous people, but tributes to the heroes that we don't normally hear about. There was a young girl who organized donating books to people who don't have access to books. She took her love of reading and shared in with others.

I remember when I graduated from college my step-father (may he rest in peace) told me that I was his hero. For the life of me, I didn't know why because I felt like I didn't do anything that special. Though one day months before he passed he told me the reason why I was his hero was because he always wanted to move to New York and pursue his dreams and he never did. My step-father lived in Michigan his entire life, but he was always traveling. He hated to stay in one place, but he had several businesses and he never worked for anyone else. I always thought he was so brave, but he didn't do his one dream. He thought little old me was so brave because I moved to NYC. We all have a hero that may not be famous, but we do have someone that inspires us to become a better person. My heroes inspire me to be the best I can be. Thank you to my non-famous heroes!
-M

No comments:

Post a Comment