Wednesday, November 10, 2010

#17 - Technology

So I have a Blackberry (a.k.a Crackberry) and it's the last thing I look at before I go to bed and the first thing when I wake up. I look at facebook, check my alarm, and other silly things instead of going to bed. Technology can have negative effects, but I think it has changed our society for the better. Now you can instantly look up something on Wikipedia or google anything (yes I used google as a verb). Telephones have changed so much throughout the years. Remember back in the day when you were late to a meeting? You couldn't call if you were stuck in traffic and they would just wait for you and hope that you will show up. I hate waiting so I'm glad cell phones became popular just as I entered adulthood. You can easily text someone in a minute to tell them something simple, especially if you aren't in the mood to have a long conversation. I sometimes wonder how we would react if these things were taken away from us permanently.

I went camping once and I turned off my phone for like three days. It was great being in the outdoors and enjoying all the gifts from Mother Nature. I felt free from society and all of the craziness. Though what if all that technology was taken away for months or years? I am sure that we will adapt to the new non-technological environment, but it might be a little hard. Anyway I don't know if that would happen anytime soon, so in the meantime, I will just appreciate the technology for what it is; something that just adds to an already great life!
-M

No comments:

Post a Comment