Tuesday, November 2, 2010

#9 -The right to choose


So today I woke up and as usual the first thing I do is look at facebook on my phone. I feel like I should be doing something better like meditate or something, but I like to see what other people are doing. All my facebook friends have status messages about voting today. Some people were promoting voting, some were upset that more people weren't at the polls this morning, and some people were just plain happy to vote! One of the reasons why I love to vote is because about 50 years ago I wouldn't have been able to vote. I wasn't alive 50 years ago, but my grandparents were unable to vote at that time. (Parents weren't of age to vote) Even before that women weren't able to vote. When they gave women the right to vote black people in this country still couldn't vote. (crazy!!) For African-American women the government said women can vote, basically only white women. I still can't believe that a group of people were denied in picking who runs this country. I have so many feelings about this current election and I will say that I am not so positive about it. The way that our country is being run politically (and socially) is unacceptable and I take my hats off to those in the political system that are trying to make changes. Sometimes I feel as though I am just picking the better of the two candidates but not the best candidate for the job. Anyway, since today is voting day I realize how lucky we are to be able to even choose the better of the two candidates instead of not choosing at all. In some countries the people don't even get to choose. I am thankful for those people who fought for me and all people to be able to vote, decide, and have a choice. Have a great Voting Day!
-M

No comments:

Post a Comment