Friday, December 3, 2010

#40-Letting go of the past

A few people recommended the book, "The Power of Now" by Eckhart Tolle, so I read it on google books instead of buying the book so I could check it out! (Save $) I skimmed through the book and most of the comments people made about the book were true. It is a great concept - the idea of only living in what is going on now, instead of what is in the past or future. Some people told me that his writing was a little wordy and out there and I definitely agree. Let's get back to the original concept. You can learn from the past, but don't carry the past with you. That is easier said than done! When I encounter my friends, relatives, and even past relationships, I usually think of who they were in the past. I think of all the things that they have done and file it in a library in my head. No matter if in the present they are a different person, I usually think of who they were in the past. I would think most people would do this for every person that they have had a relationship with. But what if we were to throw all of those things in that library away and evaluate the person on who they are now? Would it change our perception of them and furthermore is it really possible? I am trying to seize the moment and forget what has happen in the past. I am not sure if it is working, but it has made me less angry and more zen-like. I still try to focus on my goals for the future, but I only focus on what I can do NOW to help make those goals come true. Maybe today I am just babbling, but I still feel better letting go of the past and living in the present.
-M

No comments:

Post a Comment