Wednesday, December 1, 2010

#38-Great Books

I am reading Sidney Poitier's book, "Measure of a Man" and I definitely recommend it! I've been reading more now since I am more relaxed and have time. I would see people on the train in NYC reading and wonder how do they do it? There is too much noise on the train for me to concentrate on a book. Especially with the crazy people on the train giving me a bible sermon! I basically stopped reading after college when working and auditioning took over my life. I love books that make you laugh, think and cry. I love reading this book because it's not only from an actor's perspective, but Mr. Poitier is from a time period in which a black person couldn't go to certain restaurants and definitely had issues with getting jobs in Hollywood. It's filled with great stories and an amazing perspective on life. Everyone now has cute gadgets like Kindles and I-Pads, but I am really old fashioned. I love picking up a book and reading it. I am like that with newspapers too. I love to pick up an actual newspaper and read it over tea instead of an online paper. I think it reminds me of my childhood when my dad and I would read the paper over breakfast. I would always read the comic section or "the funnies."(Did anyone else call them "the funnies?") I hope the generation after us will continue to appreciate reading. I know there is a lot of talk about illiteracy with today's youth, but I hope that it will change because there is nothing better than curling up to a good book!
-M

No comments:

Post a Comment